Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving thanks...

I know I'm in the minority here, but 2008 was a pretty good year for me. After over a decade of slogging away at my writing, I finally got published - and not just one book, but two, with a third on the way!

So here I am on this chilly Thanksgiving morning, sitting in front of the computer sipping hot tea with a nice warm cat snoozing at my side. My husband's in the other room, doing our Black Friday shopping online while our turkey roasts in the oven.

What's not to be thankful for?

I may not live luxuriously, but I still have it a lot better than some people. I have a roof over my head that I don't have to worry about losing anytime soon, money in the bank, and food in the fridge. Thanks to a change in diet and daily exercise, I'm feeling better than I have in years.

For the first time in practically my entire life, I feel optimistic, and not only for my own personal future. Just a few short weeks ago, I broke down and cried at the news that Barack Obama will be our next president. Finally, an end to the hypocrisy and horror of the past eight years! I know it will take awhile for him to dig us out of the hole Bush & Co. have put us in, and I know it won't be easy. But with Obama at the helm, I'm holding out the hope that 2009 will be a much better year, not just for me, but for everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate it. And to everyone else, have a great weekend.

No comments: