Saturday, November 29, 2008

The things I think about when I'm writing.

I just took a look at my previous posts, and realized I've had a lot to say for someone who's normally not very talkative in person. Oh, well - if I get to be too much of a Chatty Cathy, I figure people can scroll on by!

I had an interview on Book Talk with J & J last month, and one of the commenters asked me if I told people I write erotic romance. At first, it struck me as rather odd. Why wouldn't I tell people? I'm not ashamed of what I write - if I was, I wouldn't show it to anybody, much less try to get it published. My husband's known I like to write the spicy stuff for years; so do most of my friends. I know some writers have to keep their dabblings in erotica quiet for the sake of their jobs or their families, but luckily, I've never had to make that choice.

Someone else asked me (over on my private blog on LiveJournal) how much my readers' expectations impact what I write. To be honest, I don't think a whole lot about my potential readers when I'm deep in the process of drafting a book - mostly what I'm thinking about is finishing the damn book! If I stopped to ponder how my readers will react to every plot twist or bit of character development, I'd never get past page one. I can't cater to every reader's - or reviewer's - personal tastes. An interesting, well-told story will always find its audience. That's what I aim for.

And now, time to stop blathering and go have some more leftover turkey. ;)

No comments: