Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cat Grant Week continues!

Today's Day Two of Cat Grant Week over at Erotic Horizon. Next on the chopping block - Strictly Business!

I'm being facetious, of course. I'm actually enjoying EH's reviews. She doesn't like everything about my books - which is only fair, after all - but she always gives good reasons for what she doesn't like, which is something every writer appreciates.

Sometimes I wish I could bang out one crowd-pleaser after another, but neither the fast-writing gene nor the crowd-pleasing gene seem to be part of my writerly DNA. And I often wonder if anybody would read my books without the, er... controversial elements that I like to work with. Sometimes I get the impression that readers would be perfectly happy with books filled with non-stop fucking and pretty boys whispering sweet nothings to each other, with nary a conflict in sight.

But that would make for a very boring book, for both the readers and - frankly, more importantly - for me. Since I'm not making Stephen King money (yet!), a huge part of the reward of writing lies in my enjoying the process. I have to make it interesting for me, or the book won't hold my attention long enough for me to finish it.

So when I write, I write for myself - and if anybody else likes my work, it's a nice bonus.

Well, that, and the royalty checks. ;)

No comments: