Thursday, September 30, 2010

In the mood for an excerpt?

Here's a snippet from my latest WIP, which features Mike (our rent boy hero Cameron from The First Real Thing's drag queen best friend) and Ryan (a fellow rent boy, who, like Cam, has decided to give up hooking).

They both work at Cameron's bar, the Icon. It's a blustery, stormy day, and the lights have gone out. What will they do to keep warm?

"Call me the queen of all cheap drunks—a few sips, and I was done for. I let my head fall back against the couch cushions, but I didn’t nod off, just hovered in that sweet place between sleep and wakefulness where nothing seems real. Which was why it took me awhile to realize the gentle pressure on my shoulder was from Ryan’s head leaning against it. He hadn’t moved back to his own side of the couch.

It felt nice sitting here together. Quiet. Peaceful. Ryan’s breath puffed warmly over my chest, tickling that small bare patch of skin at the base of my throat. It was a perfect moment, even if he wasn’t aware of it. Maybe the only one we’d ever have.

I shouldn’t have done what I did next, but I couldn’t help it. I leaned over and kissed the crown of his head. His hair teased my lips and smelled faintly of strawberry shampoo. I closed my eyes, drinking in the scent. “Oh, you sweet thing,” I whispered.

On some level he must’ve been aware of me, because he lifted his head and looked up, blinking in the half-light. Then I did something else I shouldn’t have done.

His lips felt so amazingly soft, parting easily under mine, almost as if he’d expected it. As if he wanted it. I whimpered at the first touch of his tongue, every fiber of me trembling. Then Ryan’s hand slid up, fingers winding tightly in my hair, and there was no more doubt."

© Cat Grant 2010

No comments: